First of all — a big H-B-D (happy birthday) to the bean + nash cofounder, co-mother, Madewell loving, Spanish speaking BFF Miss Gabrielle Alleyne!!! Yes, today is the big day this chica turns 21. We’re celebrating tonight with a few glasses of vino and tapas (we’re in Spain what do you expect). It should be delicious and cute and everything Gab deserves.
Gabby’s birthday comes right before Semana Santa, a week in Sevilla that literally stops all life for Easter celebrations and parades. “Holy week” starts this Sunday and for the following 7 days, Sevilla’s streets are packed with gente (peeps), pasos (floats), and many many many crying Jesus statues (a rousing time). We don’t have any classes this week so I took it as a chance to get out of Spain and see some of Europa, the lovely continent I’m on. I leave on Friday for a 10 day trip to Budapest, Vienna, and last but not least, Prague. I am excited for many things – seeing my roommate from school (s/o Sara), experiencing cities I’ve never been to, and trying out some new cuisine (and beer). Overall it should be a great trip! I just hope I’m alive when it’s over.
Before I leave you for 10 days, I thought I’d give you 10 things I’m currently checking out/reading/admiring/thinking about. There’s one for each day so DON’T start reading until Friday!!! Kidding, I really don’t care what you do, just enjoy!
1. This recent set of photos from Diana Moss’ trip to Kruger Park. South Africa, and Kruger Park, are very high on my bucket list and I am constantly envious of my friends who are currently studying abroad in Cape Town. Morocco was a great introduction, but watch out Africa…I’m coming back for round two.
2. This article on how to teach English around the world. I’m loving my time abroad and know it definitely won’t be my last, so I’ve been looking into ways to continue traveling while also not blowing money like it’s my job (not that I have a job). Thankfully many people in this world want to learn English and teaching it is a great way to make the [big] bucks. I’m thinking Southeast Asia or China circa 2015 – anyone want to come with?
3. These photos of Jemima Kirke’s artwork. Jemima plays Jessa on Girl’s and I’ve heard, from my BFF Lena/Hannah obviously, that Jemima is very similar to her on-screen personality. This just makes me like her more and after finding these photos of her recent artwork, I really don’t think I can find a cooler person.
4. This shop. A) The name is great and always makes me smile. B) They’re a NYC PR company and shop that specializes in up-and-coming designers. C) They sell really cool stuff.
5. This recipe for No Churn Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream. The temperatures are rising here in Sevilla and my host mom is still wearing gloves. I need some relief from the heat and this ice cream is the perfect answer. Added points that you don’t need an ice cream maker because my mom refuses to buy speciality appliances after our panini maker (same job can be done with two pans) and deep fryer (still in box, selling for $20).
6. This Nashville hotspot. I’ve been seeing a lot of geotags recently from this place and am liking the looks of it. A place where I can simultaneously eat brunch and bowl? Sounds good to me.
7. This letter of advice from Mindy Kaling to teens. The Mindy Project just came back and I am thrilled. Mindy is the perfect way to spend a siesta and never fails to make me laugh.
8. This earring which I’ve admired from afar for approx. 2 years and maybe, just maybe, will finally ask for it for my 21st. I love the simplicity of it and am always looking to jazz up my ear ensemble.
9. This career interview with Kate Foley. When one of my role models (Garance Doré) interviews another one of my role models (Kate Foley), I usually like to check in with them. Kate Foley is a buyer for Opening Ceremony and Garance is just an all-around fashion/photography/travel superstar so when the two come together, good things happen. Plus, I find it so interesting, and insightful, to read about a job I would love to have one day in the future.
10. (Last but not least, this has been exhausting), this recipe for Kale and Fig Salad and this recipe for Dark Chocolate Chunk Skillet Cookie. I leave you with something healthy and something healthy.
^^You have 10 days to make these. I’ll check in with you after.